Sunday, November 25, 2012

TOW #11: Running With Scissors (IRB)

Running With Scissors (IRB):

I recently started reading Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. The book is a memoir written through his perspective when he was a child. Augusten has a mother who is mentally unstable, so he lives with his mothers psychiatrist. The psychiatrists family is disorganized and often times deeply disturbing, which is why I find this book to be so interesting. The author uses point of view, tone, voice, and imagery to add to his memoir. I found the imagery to be the most developed rhetorical device because, when reading the story, I can visualize everything that is going on in Augusten's life. For example, the imagery he used to describe his mother made it obvious to the reader how crazy she actually was. Augusten states, "My mother began to go crazy. Not in a 'Let's paint the kitchen red!' sort of way. But crazy in a 'gas oven, toothpaste sandwich, I am God' sort of way." I found his detail and description allowed the reader to understand his situation to a better extent, given that the situation he's in is completely abnormal. He also uses tone to show his perspective, which I also found to be really useful. It's obvious to the reader how he feels about the situation he is in, and it's obvious how he feels about the characters in the book. One of the most important relationships in the book is between himself and his mother, and I think his tone as well as imagery shows the reader the instability of their relationship. 

Rhetorical Devices:
Point of view
Tone
Voice
Imagery

No comments:

Post a Comment