Sunday, October 7, 2012

TOW #4 (Visual Text): Obama v Romney Debate

President Obama v Governor Romney: Debate
Viewed on CNN 

The debate between President Obama and his running-mate Mitt Romney took place Wednesday, October 3rd. I mainly focused on Mitt Romney's arguments and use of rhetoric because I have seen many presentations and speeches by President Obama. The main topics covered in the first round of the debate were mainly domestic issues: jobs in America, the tax deficit, etc. I don't want to go in to discussing the topics they covered, and who I agree with and who I don't agree with. I want to strictly talk about the way they presented to the audience, which was 40 million viewers.
As far as public-speaking abilities, I think Romney was hands-down the better presenter. I have seen Barrack Obama's speeches many times, and I have always thought that he was a very convincing, and appealing speaker. His diction and use of ethos has always made his presentations so impactful to viewers. Watching Obama against Mitt Romney, it was clear to me that Romney was more prepared, more rehearsed, and most importantly, more knowledgable. Romney not only knew his argument, he also knew Obama's arguments, which allowed him to be able to retaliate so quickly against the President. Obama was repetitive, and tried way too hard to use pathos in order to win his argument. When it comes down to it, and this is strictly opinion-based, I care more about the facts and the words that Obama is saying, than a sob story. I think Romney used his knowledge, and conveyed ethos throughout every one of his arguments, and I think that made his presentation all the more effective.


Obama rhetorical devices:
  • Pathos
  • Repetition
  • Ethos
  • Comparison (between his views and Romney's views)
  • Diction 
*Expletives


Romney rhetorical devices:
  • Syllogism (made his arguments irrefutable) 
  • Ethos
  • Comparison
  • Parallels
  • Diction
  • Tone
  • Voice
*Expletives

No comments:

Post a Comment